Hastings schools accept community donations
The Hastings Area School System Board of Education received a variety of donations Monday.
The board accepted the following financial gifts:
• $30,000 from the DeCamp Foundation to purchase a kitchen hood and fire suppression system at the high school;
• $25,000 from Jeffery and Barbara Arnold Charitable Trust for a cement hitting wall, spectator bleachers and other improvements needed at the tennis courts;
• $21,462 from the Hastings Education Enrichment Foundation to be used to help defray the cost of several programs and activities for students;
• anonymous donations of $2,700 to defray costs for wrestling warmups and uniforms and $500 in support of Northeastern Elementary School;
• and a $300 donation from the Barry County Farm Bureau and $475 from GreenStone Farm Credit Service to defray costs for the Farm Science Lab at Central Elementary.
In other donations, Patricia Sensiba and Casey McCarthy, owners of the Jefferson Street Art Gallery, donated paper products and supples to the school district.
In other business, the board:
• accepted the proposal from Duane Hamilton Excavating Inc. to provide the necessary site work for the agricultural facility for $19,400.
• accepted the proposal for Ecker Mechanical for $29,350 to install a kitchen hood and fire suppression system for the culinary arts class at the high school.
• learned that roof project at Northeastern is nearly done.
• heard a request to move graduation ceremonies to outdoors with a contingency plan for inclement weather.
• received a positive audit report that indicates the district is getting closer to a 15-percent fund balance
• heard a report from Tim Berlin on pupil count.
• considered a reinstatement request from an expelled student and denied the request because the student had not progressed enough to merit reinstatement.
• went into closed session for a student discipline hearing.
A work session of the school board is planned for 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 12, in the library at Northeastern Elementary.
The next regular board meeting will take place at 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 18, in the Commons Area of the Middle School.