No icon

Social Security

Circumstances determine which agency can help


Vonda Van Til

Social Security Public Affairs Specialist

Social Security offers retirement, disability and survivors benefits. Medicare provides health insurance. Because these services often are related, you may not know which agency to contact for help. The questions below can help you quickly figure out where to go. Please share this table with family and friends.


-What does Medicare cover?

-How can I check the status of Medicare Part A or B claims?

-Where do I find forms for filing a Medicare appeal or let someone speak with Medicare on my behalf?

-What do Medicare health and prescription drug plans in my area cost, and what services do they offer?

-Which doctors, health care providers, and suppliers participate in Medicare?

-Where can I find out more about a Medicare prescription drug plan (Part D) and enroll?

-Where can I find a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy in my area?


Social Security

-How do I report a death? Contact your local Social Security Office or call 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778)

-How can I check Medicare eligibility?

-How do I sign up for Hospital Insurance? (Part A)

-How do I sign up for Medical Insurance? (Part B)

-How do I apply for Extra Help with Medicare Prescription drug coverage? (Part D)

- How to appeal an income-related monthly adjustment amount decision? For people who pay a higher Part B or D premium, if their income is over a certain amount

-How can I request a replacement Medicare card online?

-If I already get benefits or have Medicare, how do I report a change of address or phone number?

- Where do I find publications about Medicare?

Vonda Van Til is the public affairs specialist for West Michigan. You may write her c/o Social Security Administration, 3045 Knapp NE, Grand Rapids MI 49525 or via email at



Comment As:

Comment (0)