No icon

Police Beat

Flat tire leads to warrant arrest

An officer was dispatched to M-79 near Charlton Park Road on a report of a vehicle with flashers and a man trying to flag down passing cars at 10:17 p.m. June 7. The man, whose age was not given, told the officer he had a flat tire and ran out of gas, but a friend was on his way to help. The officer asked the passenger if she had identification and she did not, but when the officer looked up her name, he learned she had four warrants. The 30-year-old Hastings woman was arrested for two warrants for contempt of court in Hastings, one bench warrant from Mason and a dangerous-drugs warrant from Battle Creek.

Teens break in to gas station and concession stand

Barry County officers were called out to a burglary at Lakewood High School at 3:47 May 19. A cash register for the concession stand near the football field had been taken out of the building, and was found on the ground at the nearby Jordan Lake Trail. A scale and various types of candy also were stolen. Three teenagers, age 14, 16 and 17 from Sunfield were already suspects for a break-in and theft of vape cartridges that took place the same night at the Marathon gas station in Lakewood. The teenagers admitted their involvements in the incidents. They broke open the cash register, but no cash was inside. The cost of the damage to Lakewood's equipment is valued at $670. 

Guns lost and found after break-in 

An 83-year-old woman called police at 12:15 p.m. May 23 to report a break-in at her home on Greggs Crossing Road in Castleton Township. The woman found dents on her garage door where it looked like someone had pried open the door to get into the house. The woman, who had just returned from Florida where she had been since January, said she was missing two 12-gauge shotguns and trail camera. She believed her 17-year-old grandson had been using her house for parties while she was gone. She had the locks changed by a family member, and the break-in occurred soon after. She left a voicemail for police June 7 saying she had located the guns but did not say where. The incident is under investigation.

Woman aims for aquarium, hits boyfriend with nunchucks

A 45-year-old man called police at 10:44 p.m. June 6 to report his girlfriend hit him with nunchucks at their residence in the 6000 block of Thornapple Lake Road in Castleton Township. The man said they had been arguing, and his 43-year-old girlfriend poured the beer he had just bought down the sink. He went outside where he was setting up for a garage sale, and his girlfriend attempted to smash an aquarium with a pair of nunchucks, but she “grazed his head.” The man had a small bump on his head, and said his girlfriend immediately apologized, but he said was tired of arguing and “called 911 to scare her.” He did not want to press charges, but information was forwarded to the prosecutor’s office.

Arrest for hit and run with suspended license

A 24-year-old Delton man was arrested after leaving the scene of accident at 8:01 a.m. June 4 at the corner of Stevens and Moor roads in Hope Township. Witnesses said he was traveling on Stevens Road at a high rate of speed when he lost control on the curve. His vehicle veered off the road into a ditch, hit a utility marker and struck several logs. Witnesses said he seemed under the influence and he threw something out into the grass after he got out of the vehicle. Another individual picked up the man and drove away. Officers tracked the license plate on the vehicle second vehicle, which belonged to the man's step-brother in the 8000 block of Hayward Road in Orangeville Township. The man was arrested for careless driving, leaving the scene of an accident and driving without a license.

Unable to break in to house, woman vandalizes porch

A 52-year-old man called police at 7:30 p.m. March 31 to alert police his wife, 49, was attempting to gain entry into his house in the 12000 block of Merlau Avenue in Prairieville Township. The woman had recently been arrested for domestic assault, and her bond required her to leave the residence. The man said she had called him a few days previously asking about his weekend plans, and he told her he would be out of the house. Through a security camera, he was able to see her trying to get into the house. When she was unable to get inside, she took some items from an outdoor kitchen, tried and failed to get into the garage and instead defecated on the back porch. The man was unsure if she had actually done so, and he had a friend drive by the house, where he found the remains and sent the man a picture, which he forwarded to police.

Information was sent to the prosecuting attorney.

Comment As:

Comment (0)